Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Clean Eating Stuffed Zucchini Boats

I was on Pinterest the other day surfing for new recipes (like always) and I came across this gem.  Let me preface it by saying I was not attracted to it because I just love me some zucchini.  It's ok.  It's not the thing I think of when I think of the word yummy, though.

HOWEVER, this recipe was DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the original recipe.  

Here are all the changes I made (either on purpose or because I accidentally bought the wrong thing or forgot something).

  • 4 large zucchini, sliced lengthwise and middle scooped out and reserved.
  • 3/4 lb lean ground beef   We used 1 lb organic ground chuck from a local farm.
  • 1/2 cup chopped red/yellow/green peppers in any combination (We bought the prechopped pack at Publix that had all three colors of peppers.)
  • 1/2 cup onion, diced
  • 1/3 cup of water
  • 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning  (used probably 2T of organic taco seasoning)
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar (used organic)
  • 1/2 cup of mascarpone cheese (cream cheese is excellent substitute) (<-- agreed... we used organic, local cream cheese)
  • 1/4 cup of parsley, chopped   (I hate parsley.  Ew.)
  • 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, shredded  (Forgot this one!  Used organic, local monterrey jack instead and it was awesome sauce...)
  • 1 green onion, sliced thin
First of all, we're really lucky we've discovered a local, organic farm recently called Happy Cow Creamery.  If you live in the upstate of SC or are visiting, I HIGHLY recommend you visit this place.  Baby J even got to have a cow eat hay out of his hand last time we went!!  Anyway, that's where we got a lot of veggies, the meat, and the cheeses for this and a few other recipes.  That way we knew we were supporting a local business while keeping pesticides out of our meals as much as possible.  

I followed the original recipe's directions as far as prep and stuffing the boats.  I wish I'd made a double batch as we each ate two (two boats, not two zucchinis worth) and they were phenomenal.  I shared a few bites with Baby J when I reheated them for lunch and he now chants "more tinni" whenever he hears me say the Z word.  LOL!  He loved them, too! 

Hope you enjoy these as much as we did!!


No comments:

Post a Comment